How to Check Your Home After a Fire in Pleasantville, PA
Before you enter your home after a fire, it is always important to check with the fire department to see if it is safe. According to The Red Cross, “Do not cut or walk past colored tape that was placed over doors or windows to mark damaged areas unless local authorities advise that it is safe to do so.” Once you have the go ahead from the fire department to enter your home, there are certain steps you should follow to ensure safety.
Steps to Take Before Entering the Home
Here are some tips provided by The Red Cross:
- Check the outside of your home before you enter. Look for loose power lines, broken or damaged gas lines, foundation cracks or other damage. See if porch roofs and overhangs still have all their supports.
- If there is no significant visible outside damage, then check inside.
- Carefully open the door. If it is jammed, do not force it open. It may be providing support to the structure of your home.
- Smell or sniff for gas. If you detect the odor of natural or propane gas, or hear a hissing noise, leave the property immediately and get well away from it. Call the fire department using a cellular telephone or a neighbor’s phone.
- Throughout your first day back, and beyond, check for smoke and embers throughout the home, including the attic.
- Beware of animals, such as rodents, snakes, spiders, and insects, that may have entered your home.
- Objects, such as furnishings or building parts that have been damaged, may be unstable. Be very cautious when moving near them. Avoid holding, pushing, or leaning against damaged building parts.
- Check the ceiling for signs of sagging.
- Check the floor for signs of sagging. Again, flooring such as plywood that was damaged by water from fire hoses could collapse under human weight. Avoid walking
SERVPRO of Crawford and NE Venango Counties specializes in fire and water - restoration and cleanup. We understand that if you have experienced a disaster, you need someone you can call on 24/7. Call us at any time, day, or night at (814) 350-7651 or visit our Website. We are always Here to Help!