Are Christmas Lights a Fire Hazard?
If you are worried about your Christmas lights catching fire, you most likely don’t have to worry. If you find yourself wondering if the Christmas light bulbs on your tree can catch fire, they cannot. They can be left on and on without catching fire. Christmas lights are much more likely to cause a fire when a socket gets overloaded or if electrical wires are faulty. When a socket gets overloaded, that means you have too many devices plugged into that socket. To prevent a fire from starting in this way, make sure you are familiar with the amps and watts capacity. In addition, you NEVER want to plug an extension cord into another extension cord. This creates an even greater risk of causing a house fire. You hunt out faulty wiring in a couple of different ways. One thing to look for if you think you may have faulty wiring is charred or darkened outlets and switches. Another way to tell if you have faulty wiring is if your lights dim or flicker. This is not a full proof way to see if you have faulty wiring, however it is an indicator to get it checked out.
SERVPRO of Crawford and NE Venango counties is dedicated to serving and keeping the members of our community safe. It is our job to provide emergency services for our friends and families. In addition, if you need restoration or cleaning services, we are nearby and ready to help. We want to do our part to keep the community safe, clean, and thriving.
Call us today at (814) 350-7651 or send us a message via Facebook!