Cooking Safety Tips in for Meadville Homes
Home fires can strike at any time, but did you know that December through March are the peak months for home fires? And I bet you can guess which room takes the most heat (pun intended). That’s right, the kitchen. Obviously, the kitchen gets the most love during the holidays, which in turn, increases the likelihood of cooking fires. Let SERVPRO of Crawford / NE Venango Counties, PA give you some tips on how to keep those flames at bay at your Cochranton home.
- Always keep flammable items away from flames and hot surfaces, including oven mitts and dish towels.
- Always have your eye on the stove and oven. Do not walk away and always set timers.
- Keep a clear path for walking. Do not leave bags, groceries, or toys in the way.
- Do not cook if you are tired. It is best to grab a pizza instead.
- Always use caution when dealing with hot pans and scalding hot liquids, such as oil.
- Make sure children stay out of the kitchen as much as possible.
- If a fire should ignite follow these safety guidelines from John Hopkins Medicine:
- Do not pour water on it. Water can cause oil to splash, which can spread the fire.
- Slide a lid over the pan to smother the fire and turn off the stovetop, leaving the pan covered until it has completely cooled; alternatively, baking soda can also be used to extinguish small grease fires.
- If there is an oven fire, turn off the heat and keep the oven door closed.
- Take your loved ones with you, but do not re-enter your home to get your cellphone, computer, or other personal belongings.
Once the fire is put out and it is safe to enter the home again, allow SERVPRO of Crawford / NE Venango Counties, PA to help you pick up the pieces. In addition to fire, smoke, and soot damage, your Venus, Seneca, Conneaut Lake, or surrounding areas home or commercial building may also suffer from water damage because of the firefighting efforts. Your local SERVPRO specializes in fire and water damage restoration. We have the specific damage restoration training, personnel, and equipment and can quickly restore your home, so it looks "Like it never even happened."
If you are in need of cleaning or restoration services, call SERVPRO of Crawford / NE Venango Counties for immediate assistance or visit our Website to learn more! Call (814) 350-7651.